This is the official resources list to accompany my ’Usability of web photos’ eBook:
- My photo usability checklist (Excel, 82k) to use to evaluate the usability and effectiveness of photos (to accompany chapter 3 of the book).
- Our poster ’10 simple ways to use photos to improve usability’ (PDF, 4.5mb) from UPA 2012 with Susan Weinschenk (@thebrainlady).
Blogs & Articles:
- My Smashing Magazine article ’How to use photos to sell more online’.
- My cxpartners article on ’User experience problems with responsive photos’.
- ’Photos as web content’ by Jakob Nielsen
- ’Deciding when graphics will help (and when they won’t)’ by Jared Spool.
- My slides on ’Usability of web photos’ from FOWD & UXCambridge 2012.
Examples of usable photos:
- www.thefoodiemethod.com - great example of useful photos that really help you to follow a recipe.
- www.made.com - beautiful product photography shot in a consistent style, very aspirational.
- www.buffalosystems.co.uk - great use of photos to convey quality, heritage, tradition and credibility.
- www.foxtons.co.uk - large & detailed property photos help you to select the wheat from the chaff.
- www.thebostonglobe.com - some great examples of using photos to tell stories.
- ’100 things every designer needs to know about people’ by Susan Weinschenk.
- Chapter 26 of our ’Smashing UX Design’ book on “Photo UX deconstructed’.
- ’How to use images’ by Lindsey Marshall and Lester Meachem.
- ’Perception and Imaging, A way of seeing’ by Richard Zakia.
- ’Content strategy for the web’ by Kristina Halvorson and Melissa Rach.